Using external-library jars?

Re: Using external-library jars?

Postby admin » Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 pm

1) The method you emailed me with (using beans) worked perfectly. I like it. :)

That's good. I wasn't going to advocate using it because it means another location to keep track of JAR-files, with the potential of conflicts. But for Iam developers it's probably the easiest way. I might even consider adding an option to include a whole list of JARs instead of having to specify them one by one.

2) The "fatjar" method I couldn't get to work.

I think that's my fault. I confused two possible ways. One is to use the One-JAR option and then specify which JARs to extract on run-time. If you don't click this option it will expand the JAR files and include the individual files in your JAR. So that's what you need. Sorry about that.

I can still highly recommend getting familiar with FatJar. Even if you don't use it now. One reason is it's much less error-prone (once you get it working obviously), which is a big plus once the number of external JARs grows from one or two to one or two dozen. Another plus is that deploying on a remote server is a little easier when it's all in one JAR instead of a whole collection of JARs.

But there are more compelling reasons than just convenience. I think at some point in the future Avatar Reality will provide an Iam hosting service. To make things more manageable, we'll probably insist the Iams can be packaged easily. Even if you don't think you'll use a hosting service because you have your own little server running 24/7, consider the possibility of putting Iams up for sale in the future. Just like clothes. But if a player buys an Iam from you, where will it 'reside'? Not on your server obviously.

So there's no hurry to learn to use FatJar. But take these considerations on board.

Mark Boon
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using external-library jars?

Postby Cale Vinson » Sat May 22, 2010 10:47 am

admin wrote:I think that's my fault. I confused two possible ways. One is to use the One-JAR option and then specify which JARs to extract on run-time. If you don't click this option it will expand the JAR files and include the individual files in your JAR. So that's what you need. Sorry about that.

Just to confirm that I have FatJar working, now that I'm *not* using the One-JAR option.

admin wrote:I can still highly recommend getting familiar with FatJar. Even if you don't use it now. One reason is it's much less error-prone (once you get it working obviously), which is a big plus once the number of external JARs grows from one or two to one or two dozen. Another plus is that deploying on a remote server is a little easier when it's all in one JAR instead of a whole collection of JARs.

But there are more compelling reasons than just convenience. I think at some point in the future Avatar Reality will provide an Iam hosting service. To make things more manageable, we'll probably insist the Iams can be packaged easily. Even if you don't think you'll use a hosting service because you have your own little server running 24/7, consider the possibility of putting Iams up for sale in the future. Just like clothes. But if a player buys an Iam from you, where will it 'reside'? Not on your server obviously.

Thank you for this additional background info Mark. I promise not to sue you if these projections don't necessarily all come to pass tomorrow :) , but its very useful information to have nonetheless. And I take your point that the existence of an "official" Iam hosting service might, largely dependent on price, do quite a bit to make Iam's more attractive to purchase for people less knowledgeable/interested in the running of a server.

- Cale
Cale Vinson

Previous

Return to General Discussions